Get the Job Done with JOBST Compression Stockings
If you’re in the market for a pair of compression stockings, you’ll undoubtedly come across the name JOBST® during your search. These high-quality accessories are designed with cutting-edge compression technologies and have unique comfort features to help provide all-day relief to those who experience a multitude of leg- and foot-related symptoms. JOBST compression stockings are an excellent choice for anyone looking to effectively treat lymphatic and venous conditions, as these doctor-recommended stockings come in a wide range of gradient compression levels to help address your unique concerns.
All these great features, coupled with the fact that the brand was the original inventor of the compression stocking, have earned JOBST the title of one of the most recognizable and physician-recommended compression brands on the market. Anyone who deals with a chronic venous disorder, perpetual foot and leg pain or swelling due to pregnancy or other conditions should explore the wide variety of JOBST stockings, socks, wraps, arm sleeves, calf sleeves and more.
The Man Behind the Brand: The Story of Conrad Jobst
One of the reasons we love this top-notch stocking brand is because of the man behind it all. JOBST was developed by the innovative Conrad Jobst, a German tool and die maker who emigrated to America and eventually helped revolutionize the toothbrush as the chief engineer at the Ames-Bonner Brush Company in Toledo, Ohio. He also contributed to the design of the modern automobile sunroof, helping to manufacture the very first retractable hardtop convertible. Despite his great achievements, Conrad Jobst ailed from chronic venous disorders, including stasis dermatitis (fluid buildup in the lower legs) and venous ulcers.
As the cliché goes, necessity is the mother of invention, and that was certainly true in the case of Conrad Jobst. The inventor found some relief from his symptoms while swimming in a hydrostatic (pressurized) swimming pool, which made him realize that if he could replicate that subtle pressure in a garment, it might help others with similar conditions find some relief. Out of this thought came the very first compression stocking — a tight-fitting gradient-pressure stocking made with elastic fabrics — dubbed the Jobst Venous Pressure Gradient Stocking. In 1950, Conrad Jobst established the JOBST company and began to market his stockings to the masses.
Conrad Jobst’s ingenuity was a breakthrough for those struggling with venous. While some pressure therapy was available at the time of the stocking’s invention, namely the use of hydrostatic pools, it was limited, and the therapy was not honed to provide maximum results. The JOBST stocking provided constant, elastic counter pressure, which cancelled out the pressure produced by the diseased veins. The pattern the original stocking was based on came to stand as a benchmark for future versions by other makers.
Sadly, Conrad Jobst died in 1957 and didn’t get to see his invention become a standard medical recommendation. Still, his work was widely recognized and ultimately served as the catalyst for the general acceptance of compression therapy, so his legacy lives on today.
Who Can Benefit from JOBST Compression Stockings?
So how, exactly, does Conrad Jobst’s invention work? By and large, compression garments work by providing perpetual pressure that gradually decreases as it moves up toward the knee. The graduation in pressure is needed because when a person is standing, natural pressure occurs at the ankle. The JOBST design counters that natural pressure externally, effectively increasing venous blood flow speed. As a result, wearers experience reduced swelling, reduced risk of venous ulcers, faster muscle recovery and (perhaps most importantly) improved blood flow. Even those who do not have chronic venous disorders find that this kind of therapy works wonders to alleviate aches, pains and swelling in their feet and lower legs.
In particular, JOBST compression socks are ideal for:
- Those with chronic venous diseases, including chronic venous insufficiency, edema, deep vein thrombosis, lymphedema, phlebitis and others
- Pregnant women who experience leg pain and swelling
- Those who are on their feet all day
- Those with varicose veins and spider veins
- Those who sit all day with little movement
- Runners and athletes in need of quick muscle recovery
Be sure to talk to your doctor before starting any compression therapy if you have a history of heart problems or have any issues that cause decreased blood supply in the legs.
Why Choose JOBST? Performance, Variety and Comfort
Despite the fact that JOBST was the first — and is arguably one of the best — in its field, you’ll find that different compression garment brands offer different benefits. Here are some of the reasons why JOBST compression socks continue to set the standard in the realm of medical compression technology.
- Your Doctor Approves — JOBST compression socks are the No. 1 physician-recommended compression therapy brand in the U.S., so you can trust that these products will provide effective and safe relief. Because the company focuses on proven medical technologies, their socks are a popular pick among medical professionals worldwide. The wide variety of compression garments in the JOBST catalog ensures that there is a specific style to suit each person’s specific condition, with just the right level of compression for maximum results.
- Comfort for All-Day Wear — This is a company that knows its products will be employed for long periods of standing, walking and movement. Thus, it takes great care to ensure that every single pair of compression stockings, socks or sleeves is ready for whatever life throws your way. For example, many JOBST styles have moisture-wicking fibers and antimicrobial finishes to keep feet dry and odor-free. Some also have a unique design that ensures they’ll stay up all day to prevent the annoying slouchy sock, as well as extra soft padding to protect against friction and prevent pressure points. The gradual, non-constricting compression ensures comfort, and the socks won’t ever feel too tight.
- An Unmatched Variety — Another reason we often point our customers toward JOBST products is that they encompass hundreds of different styles. Of course, their most popular products are their compression socks and stockings, but they also offer various other compression accessories, including hosiery, socks, sleeves and options for the hands and arms. What’s more, each of these styles comes in a huge assortment of different colors, sizes and styles to suit every gender and body type. Additionally, JOBST offers styles at many different pressure points (mmHg) for optimal treatment of many venous conditions. Basically, if you have a very specific compression sock need, JOBST probably has a solution to suit it.
- High-Quality Designs — Each pair of JOBST compression socks is made with a unique blend of high-quality technical materials that are non-irritating, easy to clean and designed to prevent annoying abrasions and pressure points. Many are made with anti-wrinkle materials, so they’re great for travel or more formal settings where you need a fresh, pressed look. From wrinkle-resistant compression dress socks to comfortable moisture-wicking sleeves for exercise, you can be sure these thoughtfully designed compression products will stay good-looking for many washes and wears.
- Constant Innovations — As you’ll see from the vast selection, JOBST makes many innovative options to address a wide range of wearer concerns, and the company is constantly debuting new styles and perfecting classics. For example, the JOBST soSoft line includes styles that look like regular fashion socks but provide advanced compression for next-level relief. Additionally, those products with JOBST SoftFit technology are made with softly-adhering silicone yarns to help keep the garments in place all day; they also have lowered compression at the top to decrease tension. Explore the many distinctive JOBST collections to see more smart stocking solutions.
More Great Compression Accessories by JOBST
The JOBST collection includes much more than just therapeutic compression socks and stockings. You’ll also find styles specifically designed for the upper extremities, including compression arm sleeves, gloves and gauntlets. These products are geared towards reducing swelling and pain in the arms and hands, which can be useful when treating some venous issues that commonly occur in the upper body. They are particularly ideal for offering relief from lymphedema, a chronic disease that triggers disfiguring swelling, especially after surgery, infection, physical trauma and/or breast cancer treatment.
Another popular choice in the JOBST compression catalog is maternity pantyhose that provide full-leg compression to address many of the common circulatory issues that come with pregnancy, including varicose veins, leg cramps, edema and fatigue. These maternity-specific options are made to accommodate a growing belly with their expandable tummy panel. They also provide a comfortable stretch so you can wear them at home, at work or while you’re running errands. JOBST also makes anti-embolism stockings to reduce the threat of blood clots as well as compression wraps that are a great solution for those who have issues wearing traditional compression garments.
Finding Your Perfect Pair
With so many different styles to choose from, it can be a challenge to know which compression therapy option is best suited to your unique needs. At Ames Walker, we offer a distinct product selection tool to help you zero in on exactly which compression accessory is most appropriate for your condition and needs. If you still aren’t sure which item is best, answer the following questions to pinpoint your specific needs.
- How Much Compression Do I Need? — Compression therapy products are measured in mmHg — or millimeters of mercury — the same standard your doctor uses when you have your blood pressure taken. Different conditions require different mmHg levels, ranging from 8 mmHg (mild) to 40 mmHg (severe or medical-weight). Generally, the more serious your condition, the more pressure you need. For example, you should choose mild mmHg for achy, fatigued legs and firm or extra-firm mmHg for deep vein thrombosis, lymphedema and chronic venous insufficiency. See our compression sock and hosiery guide for more information on which pressure level to choose.
- Where Do I Need Compression? — The second question is an easy one: Do you need compression in your legs, arms, ankles, wrists or hands? JOBST makes garments and wraps designed specifically for these different parts of the body to ensure a proper fit that you can wear all day. Make sure you choose a compression option that covers your treatment area. For example, if you have varicose veins or circulatory issues in the thighs, your best bet is to choose compression thigh-highs, waist-highs or pantyhose. Open- and closed-foot options are also available, so you should choose closed-foot styles if you want to extend compression therapy to the feet.
- Where Will I Wear Compression Gear? — Finally, ask yourself where you’ll primarily be wearing these items — at work, in dressy situations, in casual situations, at the gym? If you have a dress code at work, you might opt for compression hosiery or dress socks to maintain your business-casual outfit. If your primary goal is to wear socks or sleeves while you’re working out or recovering from exercise, then sport-specific styles made with technical fabrics are a must. JOBST makes styles for virtually all occasions and scenarios, so make sure to browse the complete collection to find a pair for wear anytime, anywhere.
If you find that you still haven’t discovered your perfect match, you can always reach out to the team at Ames Walker. Our compression garment experts are always happy to give one-on-one advice based on your desires or the recommendation of your doctor. Ultimately, our goal is to match you with the perfect pair of compression socks, and we’re confident that there’s something in the JOBST line that will help us do just that.
Kaki Zell - Vice President of Sales, Marketing, eCommerce at Legs-4-Life LLC Kaki holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration and Management from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. She’s been working in the medical device industry for over 11 years and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Greensboro Science Center.
Written October 2018 | Page Last Updated 2021
Globe Newswire. “JOBST Ranked #1 Physician Recommended Compression Therapy” https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/02/01/1329865/0/en/JOBST-Ranked-1-Physician-Recommended-Compression-Therapy-Brand-in-US.html